Wednesday, December 23, 2015

#Blogmas Day 23: The 12 Films of Christmas

With Christmas just around the corner, I thought I'd do one last "12 Things of Christmas" post by rounding up my most favorite holiday films! This is a smattering of old classics I've loved forever (or discovered in more recent years on TCM), and all the best contemporary classics thrown in as well both from childhood and adulthood. They are all quite special to me and I make sure to watch each of them at least once or twice during the month of December.

Disclaimer: I have never seen It's a Wonderful Life. I don't know how or why, since I love old movies so much and that one is THE quintessential classic. But for whatever reason it has escaped me in each of my 30 years of life. Maybe in 2016 that should be a holiday goal! Also missing from this list is A Christmas Carol, which I love reading but am not too keen on any of the movies really, aside from the Muppets, and even that just doesn't make my favorites list! So hope a few of your favorites are on here, and a few you haven't seen that you'll still have time to check out this year or add to your list next year. Enjoy!

1  White Christmas My absolute favorite old holiday film since I was about 7 or 8 years old and made my mom buy the VHS tape for me at Sam's Club. It's become a family favorite.

2  Love Actually This is a classic, for me. I love all the intertwining love stories and British accents. And while maybe the recent criticisms have some slight validity, it's still my favorite contemporary holiday RomCom.

3  Meet Me in St. Louis This is a year-round favorite for me (and in my top 10 favorite movies of all time, non-seasonal), and of course the movie takes place through the course of a year as well. But Judy Garland's stunning rendition of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" makes this officially a Christmas movie, and that'a that.

4  The Holiday This movie, I just love. I watch it probably at least 6 times a year anyway. I mean, I'm a fan of Nancy Meyers' entire oeuvre, really, from Baby Boom all the way to this year's The Intern. So this is naturally in my favorite holiday films list.

5  Christmas in Connecticut This classic film has a special place in my heart, because the lead character (played by the stunning Barbara Stanwyck) is a bit of a predecessor to the modern-day lifestyle blogger. And like me, she doesn't quite have it all as together as it seems either. It's a hilarious romantic comedy that's definitely worth checking out!

6  Home Alone I'm using this as a two-for-the-price-of-one because I also love the sequel, and it was probably my first real look at the city I'd one day call my home! So both Home Alone movies are just total childhood classics for me. And they really hold up, in my opinion, since I watched them both this year. While the haircuts and home decor are a bit appalling, they are just 90s perfection.

7  Holiday Affair Janet Leigh is just the most beautiful woman who ever lived, in my humble opinion. And in this romantic Christmas drama, she is so unbelievably charming opposite Robert Mitchum. Plus the little boy in this movie will just break your heart and make you laugh all at the same time. You must watch this next year!

8  Elf I mean, do I even need to say anything about this one? It's easily the most quotable holiday movie ever. It's such a favorite, I have to watch it at least twice every December, but...sometimes more, if I'm honest! I love it so!

9  It Happened on Fifth Avenue This is such a cute story about a group of people who find themselves squatting in the home of one of NYC's multi-millionaires after the boys came home from World War II. Certainly not a plot that could be remade in 2015, but certainly hilarious and oh-so-charming for 1947.

10  The Santa Clause This movie starring Tim Allen is right up there with Home Alone as a total 90s classic. It just screams childhood to me, and it's both nostalgic for me but also a really nice story! I didn't realize until this year that it was made by Disney! Which explains why it has something for everyone, and has stood the test of time.

11  A Christmas Story Love love love this movie. It's a family favorite and we like to watch it at least once or twice on Christmas Day (after all it plays for 24 straight hours!)

12  How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Live-Action) While I love the classic cartoon just as much, I truly love the live-action version of The Grinch starring Jim Carey. The updates to the story are just so cute, and I really feel the Christmas charm whenever I watch this. Aww, it warms my heart.

And there you have it! My holiday favorites! Which are yours? I'd love to hear more from you guys in the comments below!




1 comment: