Thursday, August 27, 2015

Inside My August Birchbox!

Well hello there! This month I decided to treat myself by signing up for both Birchbox AND Ipsy's monthly boxes/glam bags. I have been buying tons of full-size products in the interest of trying new things, and 10 dollars each for these subscription services seemed like a much better way to discover products I love (or don't love) without the price tag the full-size item. I missed the cut-off point for this month's Ipsy bag, but I did make it just under the wire to receive an August Birchbox.

Below is what was in my amazing box, along with the value of each sample as compared to the full-size product available on the Birchbox website, plus a little review for each! It may be too soon to say, but I am very impressed with my Birchbox, and if you're interested in trying a subscription, you can get the ball rolling here! Enjoy! xo Jenna

Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk - Natural Tint 
Full-size | $20.00 for 3.2 oz.
Sample value | $06.25
I'm a huge fan of dry shampoo, like it's in my could-not-live-without-it favorites (which I may do an upcoming post on soon). I have my go-to which is Drybar Detox, but this Klorane version may convince me to switch it up. The tint is slightly darker than Drybar's (which is powdery white) so it blends better into my hair's natural light-brown-auburn color. It smells great, and I was very pleased with the sample size. Great for an on-the-go spritz.

Dr. Jart+ Dermask Vital Hydra Solution Deep Hydration Sheet Mask 
Full-size | $06.00
Sample value | $06.00 (full-size product)
I had never tried a sheet mask, though I know beauty bloggers/vloggers have been praising these forever. And now I can see why. One weekend evening when I felt like really having a #treatyoself moment, I applied this and wore it in a fabulous bubble bath using some of my recent Lush purchases. It was ahhhmazing–super moisturizing and refreshing–a great experience. And getting a full-size product in my Birchbox was awesome!

Dr. Brandt Pores No More Cleanser
Full-size | $35.00
Sample value | $02.50
Full disclosure: I have not yet tried this product, because I've been trying to use up another sample of the Boscia Detoxifying Black Cleanser from Sephpora. But I am looking forward to giving it a try this upcoming month! And props to the Dr. Brandt social team for giving my Instagram pic a little likey-lou. That is always appreciated, by me at least! (By the way, follow me on Instagram here for more NYC and makeup adventures!)

Benefit Watt's Up! Cream-to-Powder Highlighter
Full-size | $35.00
Sample value | $07.27
So, this was the only product in my Birchbox that I wasn't SUPER jazzed about because I already own this full-size product. And I am not 100% sure I love it. I've really struggled to find a highlighter that works perfectly for me...and I'm not sold on liquids or creams/cream-to-powders. I may just cave and buy the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector pressed highlighting powder one of these days...or see if my desire to strobe-like-the-sun fades when Fall rolls in. But for now, I have a travel size of Watt's Up!, which should lighten up my makeup bag.

Coola Face SPF 30 Unscented Matte Tint
Full-size | $36.00
Sample value | $03.60
I loooooved this, and of anything in my Birchbox, this is quite possibly what I would purchase in full-size first. The texture was like this...whipped, light, fluffy texture–similar to Benefit's Pore-Fessional but less heavy or creamy. It was not at all greasy, like my current Facial sunscreen feels...it would be amazing as a primer under makeup. This product is advertised as being tinted to even out skin tone, and I didn't quite feel like it was enough coverage where I'd wear it without any foundation...but would absolutely wear it to the beach with no other makeup, skin-tone-evenness or not!

FINAL TALLY: 
Money spent on the monthly Birchbox | $10.89 (including tax)
Value of my August Birchbox | $25.62

I have done tons of research on Birchbox and Ipsy, and have watched countless unboxing vids on YouTube in preparation for this. And while people aren't always 100% pleased with their samples or the value of their box, as far as I'm concerned...as long as the value of my box is worth more than $10.89 I've got my money's worth. And so nearly $15.00 of free product is quite a treat! Looking forward to many, many more monthly Birchboxes coming my way!






0 comments:

Post a Comment