Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Feature Film: How to Marry a Millionaire

This 1953 comedy starring Femme Fatale powerhouses Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable, and Lauren Bacall is a little outdated, but it will never be short of mesmerizing. To see three of the most beautiful actresses in the history of cinema out there scrambling for a man is, well, hilarious. But hey, I like how they aimed high and went for the gold by renting an upper-crust apartment for 1000 bucks a month (in 1953...) and then systematically selling all the furniture so they could pay the rent! It also yields classically antiquated lines such as, "If you don't marry him, you haven't caught him, he's caught you..." It's worth watching the film just to see Marilyn rock a pair of cat-eye glasses that make this four-eyed blogger green with envy. Though I try not to believe her when she spouts off her classic catchphrase, "Men aren't attentive to girls who wear glasses." In short, I adore this movie. Have you seen it?

2 comments:

  1. this is one of my favorite movies ever!! I watched it this morning when I couldn't get my baby to go back to sleep. *lol* I love the fashion show scene. Some of those outfits are to die for. This is one of those flicks that even my husband adores- it's so funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooove old movies! I've seen this one, but my all time favorite is Gidget. My sister and I watched it over and over one summer. :)

    ReplyDelete